Ludus Magnus – App Companion

Contributing to the App

Everyone in the group had their own part of the app that they worked on:

Andrew: Created all the art assets for all the sections of the app. Andrew also made some mockups of how the app maybe should look like, I stopped him after the first mockup he created and stated that it was great but to move the elements to where they are now. He agreed and that is how the app looks the way it does now, art-wise.

Daniel: A lot of scripting. When a main menu button is pressed, I scripted the movement of the buttons to their set positions based on what button was pressed, movement of the other elements: both logos, the age restriction bar and the title. Also when the Rules button is pressed and all main menu buttons have moved to their positions, scripted the sub menu buttons coming in and when one of them is pressed, movement of those buttons to their positions based on what one was pressed. Also all the timings of the movement of the buttons and the other elements, for example: when a sub menu is opened and you click on the Rules main menu button again to signify that you want to go back to the main menu, the submenus will collapse, then the submenu buttons will move back offscreen, the main menu buttons will then move towards their default positions on the main menu, finally, the other elements will come in after the main menu buttons have settled. Lastly, I scripted the mouse wheel scrolling on all menus including the Excitement Tracker slider.

Gareth: Scripted the Excitement Tracker slider and added content to the Setup menu and submenus of the Rules menu, also scripting the scroll bars, hooking them up to the menu content movement via clicking and dragging the scroll bar.

Providing the App

In the final playtest, we had to give the final version of the app to the players and just stand back and watch it all explode. Luckily, it didn’t explode and the player’s used it how it was intended (for the most part, first going into the Rules menu instead of first going into the Setup menu, and also not realising there was an Excitement Tracker button as it was right down the bottom).

Most playthroughs, the playtesters would get confused on at least one aspect of the rules, playing slightly different that what was intended, but we did have two groups that actually played 100% the way we intended, but both groups also had one member that had played a previous iteration, so that probably is why. The brief told us that only one person is meant to use the app, but all of our players were reading the app, I guess we should have stated in the Setup that the Emperor should be the only one reading and using the app.

How Did the App Help?

The app stood as a rule book as well as being the instructions for how to set up. These aspects allowed the player to understand how to play, like a rulebook would have, but whilst saving the trees. The Excitement Tracker allowed players to easily keep track of the excitement levels throughout the playthrough. We initially had the Gladiator’s health tracked in the same section, but it was too much for the sole user of the app to try keep track off, so we decided to move them onto the board for the Gladiator’s to update their own health values.

I must admit, we did not exploit the app to it’s full potential. Additions that we should have added, was a music library you could choose to play different tracks throughout your play session, as we found during a couple of playthroughs that the players took their phones out to play some music as they played. We also should have added a queryable glossary bank, so that you can quickly look up any rules you are still not 100% on. We will probably not have these features in my Exhibition week either, which sucks as they would be really nice to have.

This is Daniel Jochem, signing out.