What have I done this week?
Making Documentation Much Better
The documentation that was created last week was just a baseline for what was planned for development. Now that I have done more of the development of the game and it’s concepts and ideas, the documentation needed to be updated to fit the new tasks needed to be completed and the new concepts and ideas for how the game will be made and play. The HCD was fully completed after iteration of a few different components including the player story and the description. the GDD had a major overhaul, as the game idea changed quite a lot and the old ideas needed to be changed and arranged into a better order of thing, more chronological than a brain dump. The schedule was also updated to fit time in for the added components and the feedback from the collaborator section was added as it was missed in the previous version. Lastly, the 2-question questionnaire was created to get feedback from anyone who played the game. This is definitely going to help with the refining of the game for exhibition week.
After a long time setting up the Git environment, it was noticed that a lot of junk was being added to the repo as they were not included in the.gitignore. I then had the problem that some important files were not being uploaded to the repo as some parts of the .gitignore were too vague when modifying it, so changes to some files were being ignored when they shouldn’t have. This whole process took over an hour to sort out, which was time I could have spent doing much more productive things to my game.
The Making of the Game
This week, a lot of scripts were made to complete the game. The scene wasn’t worked on too much, the map had already been sorted out the previous week, and tiles had already been placed where you could go and couldn’t go, as well as the start and end tiles placed, all just waiting to be hooked up to the scripts I created this week.
First up, I needed to detect when the cursor was hovering over the Start and End tiles:
Start Tile script:
Disable end and start menus on startup
Reset Time to complete & Attempts if the game is finished or the time runs out
Turn on torch
Turn End Tile on
Turn off Start Tile
Turn on the timer
Add 1 to the attempts
If you fell off the path, you are now back on the path
End Tile script:
Display End menu
Stop the timer
Deactivate the torch
Deactivate End Tile
Activate Start Tile
End Menu (Display Scores script):
Time to complete level
Attempts at level
Death (Kill script):
Blood splatter for 1 second (Bleed script)
Disable the End Tile (so you can’t cheat)
Fell off is true
Start Tile on
Depending on what way the mouse is moving, move (lerp) the light toward that direction:
Lerp the light towards the mouse cursor at a certain speed when the cursor moves
Time it takes to lerp around to the direction the cursor is now going
As well as lerping towards the direction the mouse is going, if the mouse is standing still, lerp straight down onto the path.
Game Manager script:
As with all my Game Manager scripts ever, I have made it a Singleton, so that all other scripts can freely take and set variables and use functions as they need to, without setting a reference to the Game Manager script each script that needs it. In this Game Manager script, on Start(), these variables are set:
Timer (default zero seconds)
Attempts (default zero)
If the game is complete (default false)
If the player ran out of time (default false)
If the player fell off (default false)
The countdown for when a random sound plays (default 15 seconds)
Torch and halo enabled, false
Timer enabled, false
The Game Manager script therefore, also handled the light intensity decrease over time if the light was still visible. If the light was dim enough that it wasn’t visible anymore the time is up so:
Display the outtatime menu
Disable the timer from continuing to count up
Disable the torch and halo
Turn the End Tile off
Turn the Start Tile on again
Also, the Game Manager script handled playing the random sound every 15 seconds.
Audio Manager script:
Lastly, the Audio Manager script kept references to all the audio clips that could be played in the game.
There were 5 ambient sounds that one could be randomly picked and played every 15 seconds. These sounds included different laughter and whispering clips to make the player feel uneasy.
There were also 6 different death clips that one would randomly be picked and played when the player went off the path.
Of course, there was also the background music playing non-stop throughout the play throughs. This background music was also ominous and made the player feel uneasy when playing the game.
There is the problem with the mouse light following the mouse cursor. The light following the mouse is setup to only work on my screen, in only fullscreen. This is a problem because no one else could download my game and play it on their computers how it is supposed to be played. Also, when recording the playtest, OBS would be very finicky and sometimes would not record properly in fullscreen, so half of the playthrough videos were recorded in a windowed resolution, making it difficult for the players in those playthroughs to play the game how it was intended. I knew these problems could have been fixed by normalising the MousePosition, but I only had time to test it after the project was due, so on exhibition week, this will be fixed.
Extra Tasks Completed This Week
As part of finishing the project, we were required to create a video and a presentation for the conclusion of the project. This was completed successfully and the presentation went quite well.
Something I have not mentioned yet, is that we have had our assigned consultant (another student in the class) that we have asked feedback from for our projects along the whole development course, and provided feedback to them for their projects also.
This is Daniel Jochem, signing out.